Best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution


Bud Shott, Webmaster
549th Military Police Web Site
Updated: Nov 18, 2009
CROSSED PISTOLS THE HARPER'S FERRY ARMY ARSENAL FLINT LOCK, MODEL 1806, CALIBER .54, WERE ADOPTED AS THE INSIGNIA OF THE CORPS OF MILITARY POLICE IN 1923. THE INITIAL DESIGN CONSISTED OF CROSSED BILLY-CLUBS BECAUSE THAT WAS THE PRIMARY WEAPON OF THE MP's AT THAT TIME BUT THAT SYMBOL BECAME CONFUSED WITH THE FIELD ARTILLERY CROSSED CANNONS. THE NEXT PROPOSAL WAS CROSSED MACES, THE MEDIEVAL CLUBS, BUT THEY APPEARED TO BE POTATO MASHERS. THE THIRD PROPOSAL WAS CROSSED M-1911 .45 CALIBER AUTOMATIC PISTOLS BUT THEY APPEARED TO BE CARPENTER'S SQUARES. THEN THEY AGREED ON THE 1806 MODEL OF THE HARPER'S FERRY PISTOLS AND IT WAS ADOPTED. THE ORDER WAS SIGNED BY THE CHIEF OF STAFF, GENERAL JOHN JOSEPH "BLACK JACK" PERSHING IN 1923 AND BECAME THE OFFICIAL SYMBOL FOR THE US ARMY MILITARY POLICE CORPS.


Click Here
to Enter 549er Site

search this site the web
Search Engine by Freefind

eXTReMe Tracker